In the world of restorative dentistry few materials are as convenient and as versatile as composite resin. This article from our Novato dentists gives you all of the information you need to understand how resin works, and to get a better idea of whether this type of treatment is right for you.
Composite Resin Overview
Composite resin is a mixture of ceramic and plastic compounds. When applied to a natural tooth and cured, composite resin bonds with enamel, and becomes hard and resilient. This type of treatment offers a completely metal and amalgam free alternative to traditional restorative care.
Composite resin is used to:
- Repair damaged teeth
- Cover stained or poorly textured enamel
- Close spaces between your teeth
- Lengthen short or worn down teeth
- Achieve a straighter looking smile
Advantages of Dental Resin
One reason that composite resin is so popular is precisely because it has so many application in the world of dentistry. Additional benefits of composite resin include:
- It looks exactly like natural dental enamel
- It can be tinted and shaded
- It holds up to the wear and tear of daily life
- It is easy to maintain
- It isn’t heat-reactive
Another reason that dentists and patients alike love resin is because the treatment process is fast, comfortable, and convenient.
Our team will…
- Clean and prep the relevant teeth
- Apply uncured resin to the tooth
- Mold and smooth the resin
- Cure the resin—at this point the resin bonds with your natural tooth
- Buff away any excess resin if necessary
Composite resin bonding generally takes just one appointment to complete. This means that you can easily get the treatment you need to get on with your life!
As you can see there are a number of benefits to choosing composite resin for your restorative or aesthetic dental care. Our Novato dental team is happy to answer any questions you may have—just give us a call to get started!