The new year is a great time to make changes in your life. One idea our Novato dentists have for you? Improving oral health! It sounds like an ambitious task at first, but don’t worry; we’re here with five helpful tips on how you can improve your routine this year. Let’s get started!
- Increase fluid intake: many people are dehydrated without even knowing it, but it can a take a big toll on your smile. Drink more water this year in order to promote saliva production, tooth re-mineralization, and healthy oral tissues.
- Rinse your mouth regularly: try to get into the habit of rinsing your mouth with water whenever you eat or drink something other than water. Rinsing is a quick and effective way to clear away bacteria as well as problematic substances like sugars and acids.
- Wait to brush your smile: if you want to clean your smile after a meal or snack, please wait at least 30 minutes to brush your teeth. Brushing too quickly can cause enamel erosion, as your enamel will be softer-than-usual for this period of time.
- Swap out sweets: whenever you can, try to reach for water-rich veggies and fruits over processed sweets. Remember that your smile is affected by everything you consume—even snacks!
- Minimize harmful habits: if you ever find yourself chewing on ice, hard candies, mints, or cough drops, you may want to focus on cutting this behavior out of your routine. Over time, this habit can create micro-cracks, chips, and weak spots in your enamel.
As always, you can contact our Novato dentists if you want to learn more about caring for your smile day to day. We are here to help you achieve your happiest, healthiest smile in 2022!