In order to achieve, and then maintain a healthy smile, it is vital that your gums are well-cared-for and resilient. Gum tissue provides a strong and stable foundation for the rest of our smile. Additionally, problems, like infections, that begin with gum tissue can rapidly spread throughout the mouth.
This article from our Novato dentist gives you more information about what gum disease is, how you can recognize it, and what kinds of treatments are available.
You probably already know that you can develop dental cavities in your teeth due to harmful oral bacteria. Well, these same bacteria can infect your gum tissue and lead to gum disease.
Some key signs of gum disease include:
- Tender or sensitive gums
- Bleeding gum tissue
- Bad breath
- Periodontal pocket development—this occurs when your gums pull away from your teeth
- Shifting dental alignment, or teeth that feel unstable and loose
If you notice any of these common symptoms of gum disease, you want to contact your dental team for more information and to schedule a personal consultation.
When you meet with our team we will be able to access the health of your smile and determine the severity of your gum infection. It is at this point that we’ll make some treatment recommendations to meet your needs. Here are some possibilities:
- Add new cleaning products into your daily oral hygiene routine
- Use special tools to clean your smile at home
- Complete professional cleanings more frequently than twice a year
- Undergo professional gum disease treatment to remove infected tissues
- Rebuild diminished tissue with gum grafts
Gum disease treatment is highly customized to fit the patient’s needs. Get started by calling our Novato gum disease dentists for more information and to schedule a personal consultation!