We expect tooth loss in young children. In fact, we celebrate tooth loss with a visit from the tooth fairy! Of course, as an adult, tooth loss has an entirely different impact on your life.
Many decades ago, we considered tooth loss was as part of the aging process. But today there is absolutely no reason to face unexpected tooth loss. The Novato dental implants dentist wants to educate you thoroughly about your dental health, so here are a few things to keep in mind if you want your teeth to last a lifetime.
5 Causes of Tooth Loss
There are many reasons why you might face unexpected tooth loss. Understanding the reasons behind tooth loss can increase your awareness about the state of your oral health and prevent problems that contribute to tooth loss.
- Poor Oral Hygiene – If you don’t brush and floss daily, cavities and gum disease can occur, making tooth loss more likely. Our dentist recommends you brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss at least once a day. It is also advisable to visit your dentist every six months for a checkup and cleanings.
- Poor Nutrition – Foods that contain a lot of sugar, carbohydrates, and acids can damage your teeth and gums. Avoid a diet heavy with these types of foods to increase the longevity of your teeth.
- Poor Habits – Tooth grinding (bruxism) erodes and weakens your teeth over time. Severe grinding and clenching of the chew can fracture a tooth. Smoking or chewing tobacco are two bad habits that aggravate gum disease that can ultimately lead to tooth loss.
- Contact Sports – Some kids, teenagers, or young adults play contact sports regularly. These include football, hockey, basketball, martial arts and so on. Wearing a mouth guard is critical to prevent trauma that can fracture of injure a tooth.
- Dental Anxiety – Some people are so afraid of dental visits that they simply never go, even if they have a toothache. Avoiding dental visits is counterproductive because at some point you’re going to need dental work. At that time you may be looking at much more complicated problems to fix.
We Can Help!
If any of these situations apply to you, we encourage you to contact the Novato dental implants dentist to arrange an appointment. We want you to experience excellent oral health, and we can give you guidance on turning these bad habits around.